Is Synthetic Grass Permeable?
Yes, synthetic turf is permeable. This means water won’t accumulate much on the turf’s surface. This also means that after washing with water, the artificial grass will be immediately ready for use after some time and drying.
Other advantages of synthetic grass
Aside from permeability, artificial grass also provides other benefits such as:
- Little to no maintenance required
- Savings in time, effort and money (because of zero or minimal maintenance)
- Water savings (no irrigation requirement)
- No need for fertilisers (chemicals and residues won’t end up in drains and sewers)
- Artificial grass is child- and pet-friendly
In addition, artificial turf can last for up to 20 years without much change in their appearance. They can stay fresh and green despite constant exposure to sunlight and direct physical contact from foot traffic.
Synthetic grass can cost $35 to $100 per square metre. This largely depends on the quality of grass and the complexity of the installation (e.g. could be about the terrain and the needed prep work before the turf can be installed).
Installing and laying synthetic grass is a straightforward and yet a laborious process which requires the following steps:
- Excavating and leveling the soil to required depth
- Filling the area with crushed rock base and compacting the surface
- Another step of leveling and compacting
- Cutting and laying the rolls of grass
- Nailing and securing the grass into place
- Other finishing work for uniformity and aesthetics (e.g. brushing dry sand all over the surface)
When choosing which artificial grass to install, consider the following:
- Material (polyethylene, polypropylene, nylon or a mix)
- Softness underfoot
- Subtle colour differences (just the right shade of green you want)
- Grass pile lengths (e.g. shorter blades of grass for tennis courts, a bit greater lengths for achieving the look of a natural lawn)
- Widths of the individual blades of grass (this is mostly for aesthetics or consistency)
If you want to learn more about synthetic grass and which one’s right for your residential or commercial property, contact us today and we can also give you a free quote.