Is Synthetic Grass Right for Me?
Before you install synthetic or artificial turf in your property, let’s first talk about the pros and cons.
Pros of artificial grass
Some of the advantages are (why it could be perfect for you):
- Green and fresh all year round
- Low maintenance (no mowing, irrigation and fertiliser)
- Dog- and child-friendly (no more grass allergies)
Also, artificial grass can last up to 20 years (with proper maintenance). The surface will remain green and fresh and the grass blades can still look new after a decade or two.
Cons of synthetic grass
Here let’s talk about some of the disadvantages:
- Higher upfront cost (it can be 2x that of natural grass to install)
- Artificial turf can still look and feel fake (choose a high-quality one to ensure the surface looks real)
- Warranty might not cover what’s beyond 10 years
As mentioned earlier, artificial grass can last up to 20 years. But beyond the 10 years of warranty, the grass might then need costly maintenance or replacement (which won’t be covered by the warranty).
What to look for when choosing a synthetic turf?
If you finally decide that synthetic grass is right for you (especially because of its low maintenance requirement and consistent appearance all year round), it’s good to know how to make the right choice so you can get more value from artificial turf.
Some of the most important features you should consider and look for are:
- Colours and shades (vibrant green and other shades are available)
- Durable and pet-friendly (the surface should resist flattening and high foot traffic)
- Stays cool (surface of synthetic turf can become unusually hot in direct sunlight)
- With UV stabilisation (constant exposure to sunlight can make the grass’ colour to fade away)
Another consideration is the professional installation cost. This can range from $50 to $100 per square metre. For example, a 50 square metre backyard may require up to $5,000 for the synthetic turf to be completely installed.
If you want to learn more about synthetic grass and get a more accurate idea about the total costs, contact us today here at Grass Rubber Play. You can also view our recent projects so you can better see what synthetic turf looks like when installed in real environments.